- 2 Best Choice t-bone steaks
- 2 tbsps. of water
- ½ lb. small carrots with tops (trimmed)
- 1 tsp. of olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini and/or yellow squash (cut in ½-inch clices)
- 2 tsps. of coarse ground black pepper
Sweet and Savory Steak Sauce ingredients:
- 1/3 cup of chopped pitted dates
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 3 tbsps. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup of onion
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershrire sauce
- 1 tbsp. of molasses
- ½ tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of minced garlic
- Sauce Preparation. In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients for the sauce. Cook over medium heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer uncovered for 10 minutes so to blend the flavors, stir infrequently. Then, place sauce in a blender or a food processor. Cover, pulse on and off for slightly chunky texture. For thinner sauce, stir in additional 1 to 2 tsps. of water. Return the sauce to the pan to keep it warm until it is ready to serve.
- Vegetable Preparation. In a large nonstick skillet, place 2 tbsps. of water and carrots. Cover and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes or until water has evaporated. Add in the squash. Drizzle with oil and toss to evenly coat. Continue cooking the vegetables uncovered for about 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and start to brown. Stir occasionally. When desired, season with salt.
- Steak Preparation. Press pepper evenly onto the t-bone steaks. Set steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill the steaks uncovered for about 14 to 16 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, flipping occasionally (or over medium heat on a preheated gas grill covered for about 15 to 19 minutes).
- Remove the bones and cut the steaks into slices. Season steaks with salt, as desired. Serve the steaks with the sauce and vegetables.